Volunteer opportunities are available in the police department for civilians in the C.O.P. (Citizens Observer Patrol) program. The C.O.P. program is active in patrolling the Villages communities and plazas. They attend parking enforcement training, direct traffic, and attend Village events. They patrol the events on foot, assist law enforcement as a extra eye when patrolling the community events.
The scope of the volunteer service for the C.O.P is:
a.) Closed home checks
b.) Neighborhood and plaza patrol
c.) Parking Enforcement
d.) Traffic Diversion/Enforcement
e.) Special Events that require the presence of the Village of Tequesta Police Department.
f.) Public Relations as a result of activities defined within this Scope of Service.
g.) Other Services as deemed appropriate and reasonable for the volunteers by the Tequesta Police Department.
C.O.P qualifications and requirements:
a.) Qualifications and Requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older, a United States citizen and a Florida resident.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Complete an application and submit to an agency background check including but not limited to, fingerprinting, driver license check and an FCIC/NCIC check. Successfully pass an oral panel interview with C.O.P board members.
- Complete a minimum of 16 hours of ride-alongs with a sworn officer before being released to C.O.P patrol.
- Volunteer for at least 8 hours a month including meetings and duties.
- Attend and complete training events as deemed appropriate by the Tequesta Police Department
Corporal Kurt Blanc