Yes, the water meets all of the standards set by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, and the Palm Beach County Department of Health.
Show All Answers
Our water is safe for all pets to drink except for fish, reptiles and amphibians that live in water. Animals that live in water take water directly into their bloodstream through their gills. For this reason, the disinfectant must be removed before adding water to fish bowls and aquariums. Consult your local pet store for the appropriate neutralizing chemical. Ensure that the product says that it will neutralize "Chloramines" and "Chlorine".
The average hardness of our drinking water is about 100-120 mg/L. Soft water is 100mg/L or less. Hard water is 200 mg/L or more.
No, the Village does not add fluoride to the water. There are very low levels of fluoride that are naturally present in our drinking water. The average amount of fluoride in our water is about 0.030 mg/L (almost non–detectable). This is well below the maximum limit of 4.0mg/L
The trace amount (0.030 mg/L) of fluoride that is present in our drinking water is considered inadequate for dental protection purposes. Individuals must provide their own supplements if they so desire. It is suggested that you consult your dentist.
Mono-chloramine is a compound that uses both chlorine and ammonia. This disinfectant is used so that the chlorine does not react with certain organic material that occurs naturally in almost all ground water. The Village also temporarily changes the disinfection treatment procedure to free chlorine once a year. This conversion to chlorine allows us to perform a water distribution system purge as recommended by the Department of Environmental Protection. During this period, customers may experience a slight increase in the taste and odor of chlorine.
The Village of Tequesta disinfects the drinking water with chloramines to ensure protection against contaminates throughout the distribution system. The Village routinely collects bacteriologic samples throughout the distribution system to ensure the water is safe and chlorine and pH levels are at our target level. However, at times customers may notice an increase in chlorine taste and odor. A chlorine odor is often an indicator that the disinfectant is effectively working.
An odor from your tap is commonly from the sink drain and not the water. The plumbing beneath your sink, typically the u-shape pipe, can collect debris over time and create an odor at your tap. If you smell an odor, fill a clean glass halfway with tap water and smell the water in a separate room or outdoors. If the odor is no longer present, the odor is likely from the plumbing beneath your sink. If the smell is still present it may be your hot water heater.
Single handle water faucets are typically being used in these situations and are not being fully turned on the cold position. This can occur when a water heater is too large for amount of hot water typically used or may be stale water. This happens in homes that are left vacant for a long period of time. Flush lines to bring in fresh water and total chlorine residual. Heating the water can liberate hydrogen. If there are any sulfur compounds available, the result would be the formation of Hydrogen Sulfide, a rotten egg odor causing gas.
Trapped air can cause cloudy ice cubes. This is normal and not harmful in any way.